The Latinos United for College Education Scholarships, Inc. (LUCES) is offering its LUCES Scholarships to Latinos entering or enrolled in college. Latino high school students, college students or an adult returning students who have a current high school or college GPA of 3.0, are encouraged to apply. The mission of the program is to “promote and advocate for the higher educational advancement of Latinos through the provision or merit and need-based scholarships”. Winners of the LUCES scholarship will get scholarship award range from $750 to $1,000 for one semester during the academic year.
Latinos United for College Education Scholarships, Inc. (LUCES) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that works to ensure bright futures for young Latinos in Wisconsin by providing mentoring and several merit and need-based scholarships.
- Applicants must have a current high school or college GPA of 3.0.
- Upon receiving the LUCES scholarship, recipients must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits during the semester in which they receive the scholarship at an accredited Wisconsin College or University.
- Outstanding Latino high school students in their senior year
- College students or an adult returning students that have completed their GED/HSED who have shown previous involvement in volunteer/leadership or community activities.
How to Apply
To apply, the applicant can download application through the given link: http://www.luces-wisconsin.org/LUCESscholarship2017.pdf
- Print, sign and date the application
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Include a copy of your high school transcript.
- Letter of acceptance to enroll or enrollment in 6 or more credits during the fall semester of 2017. (The letter can be in English or Spanish.)
- Essay- Type a brief essay in response to the topics below (Maximum of 3 pages) answer the questions 1 in Spanish and questions 2-6 in English.
- Describe what your field of study interests you and why it is important to your future?
- Describe your involvement in professional, community and/or extracurricular activities. List the organizations and activities. Include any leadership positions that you have held. If unable to participate, provide a brief explanation.
- Describe financial barriers you face/have faced
- What do you see yourself doing five to ten years from now?
- In the future, how do you plan to continue “giving back” to the community, in particular, the Latino community?
- Additional Consideration – describe any other recent major life changes that should be considered
The applicant can scan your application with attachments and email to Board-at-luces-wisconsin.org
Scholarships are available ranging from $750 to $1,000 for one semester during the academic year.
Completed application packet must be emailed no later than Friday, June 9th, 2017 at 11:59 pm. Scholarship award notifications will be sent by July 1, 2017.