The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Their ultimate purpose is “the complete integration of the blind into society on a basis of equality”. That’s why they are proudly announcing its annual NFB Scholarship Program. The competition is available to blind residents of the United States and Puerto Rico who are pursuing or planning to attend college during the fall semester of 2017.The competition is offering merit-based scholarships ranging in amounts from $3,000 to $12,000, plus other prizes.
The National Federation of the Blind is the largest organization of the blind in America that believes in the full capacity of blind people and has the power, influence, diversity, and determination to help transform our dreams into reality.
- Must be legally blind (PDF document https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/confirmation-of-legal-blindness.pdf) in both eyes
- Must be residing in the United States, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico
- Must be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, postsecondary course of study in a degree program at a United States institution in the 2017 scholastic year, except that one scholarship may be given to a person employed full-time while attending school part-time
- Must participate in the entire NFB national convention and in all of its scheduled scholarship program activities
How to Apply
To be applying for the NFBP scholarship, the candidates may create an account for online application or may download the application in one of the following formats through the given link:
- Pdf format- http://nfbp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017StateScholarshipApplication.pdf
- MS word format- http://nfbp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017StateScholarshipApplication.doc
- Online application: http://scholarships.nfb.org/
- One essay, personally written by you, limited to 700 words or less
- At least one letter of recommendation is required
- Transcripts are required
- Proof of Legal Blindness is required
- One Affiliate President’s interview is required
- To apply for these scholarships (National & State), complete this application and mail completed form with attachments to- National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania Scholarship Committee, 1500 Walnut Street, Suite 200, Philadelphia PA 19102; (215) 988-0888.
- The candidate ALSO can attach the PDF file to an email and send it to Scholarships-at-nfb.org.
- The National Federation of the Blind annually offers blind college students in the United States and Puerto Rico the opportunity to win one of thirty merit-based, national-level scholarships worth from $3,000 to $12,000.
- In addition to a scholarship, each winner will receive assistance to attend the 2017 National Federation of the Blind Annual Convention which will take place July 10 through 15, 2017, in Orlando, Florida, providing an excellent opportunity for high-level networking with active blind persons in many different professions and occupations.
The 2017 Scholarship Program begins on November 1, 2016, and ends on by March 31, 2017.
If you have any question, contact their Scholarship office by email: scholarships-at-nfb.org, or telephone: (410) 659-9314, extension 2415.