Outdoor Writers Association of America Inc. (OWAA) is now sponsoring a Bodie McDowell Scholarship Program for tomorrow’s communicators.The scholarship program is open to all undergraduates, graduates, and college students who are enrolled in college or university program.The mission of the OWAA is to improve the professional skills of their members, set the highest ethical – communications standards, encourage public enjoyment &conservation of natural resources and be mentors for the next generation of professional outdoor communicators. Bodie McDowell scholarship awards are usually given annually to three or more students. Annual distribution varies, but individual awards can range from $1,000 to $5,000.
Outdoor Writers Association of America Inc. (OWAA) is a nonprofit, international organization that represents a diverse group of professional communicators dedicated to sharing the outdoor experience.
- Applicants must be students enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate college or university program.
- The scholarship is open to qualified undergraduate or graduate students.
- The scholarship program is open to all college students, undergraduate, and graduate, from all disciplines and all schools.
- There is no limit to the number of candidates that can apply from one college or university.
- Each candidate should have clear, significant goals in outdoor communications, demonstrated by submission to OWAA of printed, film or taped material, job history, course orientation or other evidence of good faith. Outdoor communication broadly includes print, film and tape media, as well as outdoor art.
How to Apply
In order to apply, the candidates may download the application form, through the given link:
- Recommendation from a faculty advisor, professor or school administrator
- Grade transcript
- Examples of outdoor communication work.
- A one- to two-page statement by the nominee that details career goals
- Optional letters of recommendation from outdoor communicators or employers familiar with applicant’s work
You can submit your application and supplemental materials in hard copy or digitally on the following ways:
- For hardcopy submissions: mail your application to OWAA Bodie McDowell Scholarship, 615 Oak St., Ste. 201, Missoula, MT 59801
- For digital submissions: email your materials to info-at-owaa.org. If files are too large to email, you can use Dropbox or other file sharing programs. Email any links to info-at-owaa.org.
- Bodie McDowell scholarship awards are usually given annually to three or more students. Annual distribution varies, but individual awards can range from $1,000 to $5,000.
- Scholarship awardees receive a complimentary one-year student membership in OWAA.
- OWAA is interested in rewarding outstanding undergraduate and graduate students who are involved in/and preparing to devote a substantial amount of their life’s work in outdoor writing, radio and television, wildlife photography, art, lecturing or video and filmmaking.
Scholarships are available for the academic year 2017-18. The applications postmark deadline is due on March 1, 2017.
If you have any question, contact at info-at-owaa.org.