The American Legion is now offering the Samsung American Legion Scholarship Program, which is funded by the interest and other income from the endowment.The program is open to high school juniors who attend either American Legion Auxiliary Girls State or American Legion Boys State.With the mission, the Legion raises millions of dollars in donations at the local, state and national levels to help veterans and their families during times of need and to provide college scholarship opportunities. The organization will worth $300,000 in the Samsung American Legion Scholarships that may be used for tuition, books, fees, room, and board.
The American Legion was chartered and incorporated by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is the nation’s largest wartime veteran’s service and a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization.
- Applicants must be high school juniors who attend either American Legion Auxiliary Girls State or American Legion Boys State.
- Applicants must be direct descendants (i.e., child, grandchild, great-grandchild, or legally adopted child) of a U.S. wartime veteran who served on active duty during one or more of the periods of war officially designated as eligibility dates for membership in The American Legion.
- Applicants who are direct descendants of Korean War veterans will receive special consideration.
- Scholarship winners are selected based on academic record, involvement in school and community activities, community service, and financial need.
How to Apply
To apply for the ALS Scholarship application, the candidates may create an account to sign up and get started on the given link: https://www.legion.org/samsung-scholarship-application
- Every year, $300,000 in the Samsung American Legion Scholarships are awarded to nearly 100 American Legion Boys State and American Legion Auxiliary Girls State participants.
- These scholarships are for undergraduate study only and may be used for tuition, books, fees, room, and board.
- The following award levels are adopted beginning with the 2017 award year:
- Ten National Scholars receive $10,000 each (two from each region)
- Ten National Runners-Up receive $5,000 each (two from each region)
- Remaining Department Finalists receive $1,250 each guaranteed
Scholarships are due no later than the first day of a participant’s American Legion Boys State or American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program. All applications must be submitted using the online application system by 11:59 PM on this day.
If you have questions during the application process, you first contact your state’s Boys State or Girls State point of contact.