The VFW Auxiliary is proud to offer Creative Patriotic Art Awards for any student in grades 9-12 who is enrolled in a public, private or parochial high school or home study program in the United States. The contest began in 1979 to recognize up-and-coming artists and encourage patriotism in youth. The scholarship contest is open to promote patriotism, assist students in furthering their education and help students reach their full potential. The first-place winner from each state competes for national awards totaling $21,000.
Established 1914, members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States Auxiliary set out to serve the veterans of this country and our communities in honor of the sacrifices and commitment of every man and woman who has served in uniform.
- Any student in grades 9-12 who is enrolled in a public, private or parochial high school or home study program in the United States.
- Maximum student age of 18 at the time of local entry.
- The student must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national.
- Applicant does not have to be related to a VFW or VFW Auxiliary member to participate, but the student must attend school in the same state as the sponsoring VFW Auxiliary.
How to Apply
In order to apply, candidates can download the application form through the given links:
- Art must be on paper or canvas. Watercolor, pencil, pastel, charcoal, tempera, crayon, acrylic, pen-and-ink or oil may be used.
- Digital art and photography are not accepted.
- Submit canvas entries on stretcher frames or canvas board; other entries must be matted on white.
- Do not frame.
- Art should be no smaller than 8” x 10” but no larger than 18” x 24,” not including the mat.
The applicants must mail complete application packet to:
VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters,
406 West 34th Street,
10th Floor, Kansas City, Missouri 64111
The first-place winner from each state competes for national awards totaling $21,000.
- $10,000 First Place
- $5,000 Second Place
- $2,500 Third Place
- $1,500 Fourth Place
- $500 Fifth – Eighth Place
The deadline for the receipt of applications is March 31, 2017.
Link for More Information: