In honor of Jacquie Walker, the American Association of University Women (AAUW) has established a scholarship program named as “Jacquie Walker Scholarship”. The scholarship is open to female attending college in the junior or senior class of the 2017-2018 school year. AAUW’s mission is to provide advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research. One merit-based scholarship in the amount of $5,000 will be awarded to the winning candidate.
The American Association of University Women (AAUW), officially founded in 1881, is a non-profit organization that advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, and research. The organization has a nationwide network of 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and 800 college and university partners. Its headquarters are in Washington, D.C.
- The applicant must be a female attending college in the junior or senior class of the 2017-2018 school year.
- The applicant must be a resident of one of the eight counties generally considered to comprise Western New York (Erie, Niagara, Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, and Allegany).
- The applicant must have graduated from high school in Western New York.
- The applicant must be a full-time student at any accredited four-year college or university.
- The applicant must demonstrate a strong commitment to community service.
How to Apply
- You can application form for the scholarship program by the given link: https://ubwp.buffalo.edu/aauw/wp-content/uploads/sites/66/2017/02/walker_application_2017_form.pdf
- All interested applicants must write an essay on a separate sheet of paper, please describe your community service involvement, why community service is important to you, and how you plan to continue service to the community in your future. Please be sure to include your name and telephone number on your essay sheet
- The completed application form. Proof of enrollment for the coming year if not shown on transcript
- A brief personal statement, including student activities, paid job experience and awards/recognitions/honors.
- One page or longer essay on applicant’s community service involvement, why community service is personally
- Important and how she plans to continue service to the community in the future. Supporting materials may be included.
- Two letters of recommendation, each including the name and phone number of the recommender:
- one from an academic recommender
- one from a community service supervisor
Applicants send completed applications and all supporting materials to AAUW Jacquie Walker Scholarship, 315 Sherbrooke, Williamsville, NY 14221
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The winner of this year’s award will receive of $5,000.
Applications will no longer be accepted after July 31, 2017.