Supported by the American Thoracic Society, “The Minority Trainee Development Scholarship” is providing an opportunity for African American, Hispanic, Native American, Alaskan Native and Pacific Islander these trainees to attend the ATS International Conference (IC). The goal of the (MTDS) program of the American Thoracic Society is to increase representation of underrepresented minorities as defined by the NIH. The winners will be able to attend the ATS 2017 International Conference and attend the Diversity Forum to receive the award.
The American Thoracic Society improves global health by advancing research, patient care, and public health in pulmonary disease, critical illness, and sleep disorders. Founded in 1905 to combat TB, the ATS has grown to tackle asthma, COPD, lung cancer, sepsis, acute respiratory distress, and sleep apnea, among other diseases.
- Applicant must be a member of an underrepresented minority, as defined by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for the purposes of biomedical research support funding. This criterion includes individuals who self-identify as African American, Hispanic, Native American, Alaskan Native or Pacific Islander.
- Applicant must be an author on an abstract accepted for presentation at the ATS 2017 International Conference. The MTDS applicants may be an author of a late-breaking abstract. Late breaking abstract notification will be announced in early March so award applicants must apply with the understanding they will not be considered for the award if their abstract is denied.
- Case Reports will not be accepted.
- Applicant must not be the recipient of another travel award at the ATS 2017 International Conference.
- Applicant must be a current trainee, at any stage of training from high school through post-doctoral fellow, at an institution in the United States.
How to Apply
To be considered for the scholarship, interested applicants can submit the on-line application on the given link: https://www.thoracic.org/professionals/career-development/ats-scholarships/mtds-application.php
Applicant must submit the following to be considered for the award:
- Letter of support from his or her mentor indicating:
- The contribution of the applicant to the research project (Basic science, clinical research, and translational research)
- The impact of the award on the applicant
- The leadership potential of the applicant
- A copy of the abstract accepted for presentation at the ATS 2017 International Conference.
If selected for this award, the applicant must be able to attend the ATS 2017 International Conference at least from Sunday, May 20, 2017 – Monday, May 22, 2017, and attend the Diversity Forum on Sunday, May 20, 2017, to receive the award.
Applicant must submit a completed online application packet no later than Monday, March 6, 2017.