The University of Saskatchewan values diversity, and Aboriginal engagement is a strategic priority.
MSc Student (Veterinary Microbiology)
Department: Vet Microbiology
FTE: Full time student
Open Date: 5/2/2018
Description: There is 1 opening for this posting. Located in Saskatoon.
Funding is available for a M.Sc. student to join a team of researchers in the Department of Veterinary Microbiology at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada (start date September 2018).
Climate change is anticipated to increase the incidence and range of vector-borne zoonotic disease. At the same time, global urbanization is expected to increase the incidence and severity of rat infestations, necessitating increased rodent control efforts. Recent research has shown that, for non-vector borne pathogens, traditional rat control practices paradoxically increase the disease burden in rats. The impact of rat control techniques on rat-associated vector-borne zoonoses has yet to be determined. Using samples collected during a recent field experiment, the student will examine the effect of lethal rat control on the ecology of a flea-borne zoonosis in wild rats from Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside neighborhood. This information will be vital for understanding rat control affects human health threats so that we can efficiently and effectively mitigate those threats in the future. The project, led by Dr. Janet Hill and Dr. Chelsea Himsworth, is an inter-disciplinary collaboration between investigators at the University of Saskatchewan, University of British Columbia, and the Canadian Wildlife Health Cooperative. Based in the Hill Lab in Saskatoon (http://homepage.usask.ca/~jeh369 ), the student will have the opportunity to network with our interdisciplinary team to develop advanced skills in molecular diagnostics, and epidemiology and biostatistics.
A Bachelor of Science degree (at a minimum) is required with specialization in a relevant discipline. Scientific curiosity, good communication skills and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment are essential. A successful application to the College of Graduate Studies at the University of Saskatchewan will be required. Information on College admission requirements can be obtained at http://www.usask.ca/cgps .
Please send a c.v. and a cover letter describing your research interests to:
Dr. Janet E. Hill
Department of Veterinary Microbiology
Western College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Saskatchewan
Questions can be directed to either Dr. Hill or Dr. Himsworth ([email protected]).
This position is in scope of Grad Students – PSAC.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Student Wellness Worker
Dean of Students, First Peoples’ House
Competition No. – S114837460
Posting Date – Oct 24, 2018
Closing Date – Nov 07, 2018
Position Type – Full Time – Operating Funded
Salary Range – $58,675 to $81,208 per year
Grade – 10
Hours – 35
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Reporting to the Director and working in close collaboration with First Peoples’ House staff and other units within the Dean of Students portfolio, the Student Wellness Worker will provide support to First Nations, Metis and Inuit learners. Supports will be related to providing information to help students’ wellbeing and will include offering self-care sessions, facilitating wellness activities, hosting Wellness Week, working with students in crisis, and planning activities/providing resources associated with preventing and reducing substance misuse.
The successful candidate must have knowledge in or be familiar with the traditions, values, and beliefs associated with First Nations, Metis, and Inuit cultures.
- Conduct thorough needs assessments from a strengths-based approach and considering diverse student experiences to develop a thorough understanding of presenting student needs
- Engage and empower students in the decision-making process to identify and develop support or referral options based on best practices and the needs of the individual
- Provide assistance to students in the area of adjusting to new changes and challenges like new to the university, medical disorders, relationship issues, and historical trauma
- Coordinate and conduct traditional healthy parenting, and healthy relationships sessions
- Support students in receiving fundamental needs like the food bank, emergency housing, medical services, and child welfare
- Offer quality guidance and counseling to First Nation, Metis, and Inuit students
- Provide crisis intervention and suicide risk assessment as well as short-term client stabilization when required
- Develop strong partnerships and positive working relationships with and acts as a liaison between many campus and greater community services to maintain direct, seamless connections to all suitable resources
- Support and assist in creating relevant First Nation, Metis and Inuit student mental health policies and procedures
- Liaison with campus resources and faculties to address and promote mental health amongst First Nation, Metis and Inuit students
- Organize resources for the use of the student and introduce them to the appropriate support groups
- Social Work Degree (BSW) required with a minimum of 5 years of experience
- Must be in good standing with the Alberta College of Social Worker
- Experience in suicide risk assessment and prevention
- Knowledge and understanding of the impacts of historical trauma within First Nation communities
- Knowledge and experience relating to First Nations culture and approaches to healing
- Experience in providing crisis and short-term counselling support, information and referrals
- Experience with working in Metis Settlements, First Nation or Inuit communities
- Experience in group facilitation and support and build resiliency of students
- Ability to seek and build relationships with families, social services systems, such as child welfare, justice, health, income supports, and education
- Experience working with people with addictions and/or other mental health concerns
- Experience working with victims of sexual assault
- Knowledge of the Indian Residential School System and the effects this system has had on former students and their families
- Experience working with LGBTQ and two-spirit peoples
- Knowledge and connections with external organizations
- Proficient working knowledge of computers and programs
- Ability to work with confidential information in a professional and sensitive manner
How to Apply
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
Job description: Documentary film company seeking iSchool students/grads for short term contract.
Mercury Films is a Toronto-based documentary production company. We are looking to make a second deposit of materials into the University of Toronto Archives. We have approximately 25 boxes containing tapes of various formats as well as printed material and binders that require sorting, labelling and cataloguing in preparation for integration with the Archives. This work will be done under the supervision of the Mercury team.
Start date: Week of November 5th 2018
Duration: Approximately 2 weeks, part time, flexible hours, as required to finish the job
To apply, please send your resume to [email protected] , and include in your subject line ARCHIVING November 2018
Tenure-Track Position in Data Science
The Department of Mathematics
Applications must consist of a cover letter, a current
Dr. Cody Hyndman, Chair
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West
Subject to budgetary approval, we
Concordia University is strongly committed to employment
To comply with the Government of Canada’s reporting
Yes, I am a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
No, I am not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
Classroom Assistant II (Part Time-4 Positions)
133 Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Classroom Assistant II (Part Time-4 Positions) Posting Number 18TM0693 Department Ctr-Strategic Urban Ldrshp-Cmd...
Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment Ctr Student Worker
96 Working Title Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment Ctr Student Worker Anticipated Starting Academic Term Fall Job Type Student Job Category...
Student Software Developer (FALL)
62 Student Software Developer (FALL) – Job Number: 183298 Organization : CIMMSJob Location : United States-Oklahoma-NormanSchedule : Part-timeWork Schedule: Flexible, 10-20 hours per weekSalary Range: $10.00Benefits Provided: No Required Attachments: Resume,...
Cross-Disciplinary Faculty Position: Illustration/Drawing/Digital Media
53 Posting Details Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All...
Cross-Disciplinary Faculty Position: Ceramics/Digital Ceramics
36 Posting Details Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All...
JMU X-Labs Student Intern – IE
26 Position Details Position Information Working Title JMU X-Labs Student Intern – IE Posting Number J1255 Position Type Institutional Employment...
General Archives Student Assistant
34 Posting Details Posting Details Job Title General Archives Student Assistant Requisition Number DU04595 Department Name 88000:LIBRARY ADMINISTRATION Work Location...
Oral History Center Indexing Student Assistant
27 Posting Details Posting Details Job Title Oral History Center Indexing Student Assistant Requisition Number DU03576 Department Name 88000:LIBRARY ADMINISTRATION...
Dullabh Education Award
32 About the scholarship Application status: Not currently open for applicationsApplicable study: Year 3 of a BEd(Tchg) Primary, GradDipTchg(Sec) or...
KMOS-TV Development Student Worker – Spring 2019
22 Position Information Position Information Position Title KMOS-TV Development Student Worker – Spring 2019 Working Title KMOS-TV Development Student Worker...