College is expensive. SEMA can help as Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) is offering SEMA Memorial Scholarship for those who are pursuing studies leading to a career in the automotive industry or related field. The SEMA Memorial Scholarship Fund is dedicated to fostering the next generation of automotive aftermarket industry leaders and innovator. Scholarship awards range from $2,000 – $3,000, with $5,000 going to the top student. SEMA Scholarship winners will also be invited to attend the 2016 SEMA Show.
The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) trade association consists of a diverse group of manufacturers, distributors, retailers, publishing companies, auto restorers, street-rod builders, restylers, car clubs, race teams and more.
The current minimum eligibility requirements are as follows. A student must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen enrolled full-time in a program of study at an accredited university, college or post-secondary vocational/technical program located within the United States, at the time of application. (Permanent/Legal residents and High School students are not eligible to apply.)
- If currently attending a four-year accredited university or college you must have completed a minimum of 50 credit hours OR
- If currently attending a two-year accredited community college or vocational/technical program you must have completed a minimum of 25 credit hours OR
- If currently attending an accredited automotive training certification program, you must have half of total curriculum requirements/classroom hours completed.
- If pursuing a Master’s, Post-baccalaureate or Doctorate degree, provide proof of acceptance or proof of enrollment in a graduate program.
- Have a minimum 2.5-grade point average.
- Be pursuing studies leading to a career in the automotive industry or related field.
- Remain enrolled as a full-time student in the first academic term following receipt of the award.
How to Apply
- Provide unofficial school transcripts
- Provide one (1) letter of recommendation:
- From a post-secondary teacher, administrator or guidance counselor; someone who is familiar with your academic performance. (Letter from a relative or friend will not be accepted.)
- The recommendation must be submitted online, a document may not be uploaded or mailed.
- Provide two (2) 250-word essays in response to the following questions:
- Why do you want to pursue a career in the automotive aftermarket? What do you feel you can contribute to this industry?
- The automotive aftermarket is driven by the passion of the people in it. What drives you? What inspires you? Why should you be awarded a SEMA Memorial Scholarship?
- Optional: You have the option to upload a drawing, sketch or other material that supports your application or helps to express your individuality.
- Provide personal background information:
- Academic Activities
- Community Service
- Extracurricular Activities
- Automotive-Related Activities
- Honors and Awards
- Applicant Work Experience
- Military Experience
Scholarship awards range from $2,000 – $3,000, with $5,000 going to the top student. SEMA Scholarship winners will be invited to attend the 2016 SEMA Show.
The deadline to complete the application is Wednesday, March 1, 2017.
If you have questions, please contact SEMA’s education manager, Juliet Marshall, at 909.978.6655 or julietm-at-sema.org.