The Ben Carlson Memorial & Scholarship Foundation is now offering the Ben Carlson Scholarship to a current high school senior or undergraduate student. Their goal is to reward 2 students annually, who embody Ben’s characteristics, with significant scholarship packages valued. The foundation seeks to create a sustainable legacy of Ben Carlson through scholarship, ocean safety, and philanthropy. Two $10,000 scholarships will be given to the winning candidates.
The Ben Carlson Memorial & Scholarship Foundation was formed to leverage Ben Carlson’s legacy through doing positive work in his memory.The BCMSF is a DBA of the Newport Beach Junior Lifeguard Foundation, a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
- In order to apply, candidates need to be attending a four-year post-secondary school within ten months of award application date.
- Candidates must be a current high school senior or undergraduate student. Graduate students will not be considered.
- Candidates must demonstrate a strong work ethic, academic promise, athleticism, and service to the community.
- High School students must have a minimum weighted 3.5 GPA
- Undergraduate students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and be taking a full-time academic course load.
- Applicants with present or past participation in a junior lifeguard program or present or past employment as an ocean lifeguard will be given additional preference.
How to Apply
The candidates can apply online through the given link:
- Resume – Submitted through the application.
- Essay – Submitted through the application. Applicants must complete an essay that demonstrates how you exhibit the characteristics of Ben Carlson and your educational goals. (Between 400 and 700 words)
- Transcript – Upon request. (High school students should include the first semester, college students should include high school transcript and any college transcripts)
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- The Ben Carlson Memorial and Scholarship Foundation is offering two $10,000 scholarship in Ben’s memory.
- Funds will be distributed directly to the institution in order to offset tuition, books, or housing expenses.
Applicants must meet specific criteria and have all of their application materials submitted by March 1, 2017.
Do not hesitate to contact the Advisory Board if you have questions or concerns regarding your application, contact at info-at-bencarlsonfoundation.org