Are you basketball player and looking a scholarship? Then hurry up! The Section V Boys’ basketball tournament committee is pleased to announce the “Bruce Johnson Memorial Scholarship “during the 2017 Sectional Tournament. The Bruce Johnson Memorial Scholarship is given annually in memory of Bruce Johnson, long-time Treasurer of Section V, who passed away suddenly in the summer of 1998. The award, sponsored by Dean Licata and Associates, is a one-time cash award of $500 which may be paid directly to the college of the recipient’s choice or established as an open account at the college’s bookstore for books or other defined school supplies.
Dean Licata & Associates, LLC is a Rochester, New York investment firm specializing in retirement and benefit planning for educators and small business owners.
To be eligible, the applicant who best proves himself in each of the following requirements for the award:
- Must be a member of his high school’s senior class and complete all graduation requirements in June.
- Academic Achievement. The applicant must have achieved a minimum of an 85% average in all academic courses, as evidenced in a letter from his school counselor which states his current cumulative average of his 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th-grade years, and also his class rank.
- Community Service. The applicant needs to be community minded and participate in volunteer activities to help others, receiving no pay for the activity.
- Athletic Participation. The applicant must be a member of his school’s Varsity basketball squad at least in his senior year and request a letter of recommendation from his Varsity Coach.
- Applicant must have been involved in other school activities in a leadership role, as evidenced by offices held and goals accomplished.
- Applicant must be planning a career in business, either as a business education teacher or in an acceptable business program which leads to an occupation in the business world, accounting or other acceptable related fields.
How to Apply
In order to apply, candidate can download application form from the given link: http://www.sectionvbasketball.com/scholarships/johnsonapp.html
- Letters of Recommendation: Inform your counselor that his/her letter of recommendation should not only be an honest perception of your worthiness but should also include your current cumulative average and class standing.
- Both your coach and your counselor should give you a sealed envelope with their respective signatures written over the seal of the envelope.
The applicant can complete the attached application and return it, along with requested letters of recommendation to the address below:
Section V Boys’ Basketball Committee
2016-2017 Scholarship Application
45 Mill Street
Spencerport, NY 14559
Winners will receive is a one-time cash award of $500 which may be paid directly to the college of the recipient’s choice or established as an open account at the college’s bookstore for books or other defined school supplies.
- The winner of the award will be notified by phone and the Scholarship will be presented during the 2017 Sectional Tournament. Date and Time: TBA
- The deadline for receiving the application is February 20, 2017.
If you have any query, contact atpkabel-at-frontiernet.net