DRFPA 2017 Iowa Merit Awards for Dramatic Performance help in recognizing excellence and promising young talent from Iowa who are interested in pursuing further enrichment and education in the performing arts. Hence the Donna Reed Foundation is pleased to announce the “DRFPA 2017 Iowa Merit Awards for Dramatic Performance” program in honor of Iowa actress, Donna Reed. The program is open to all Iowa high school students who are studying drama and have acted in official school productions. The winner of the program will get up to up to $1,000 award.
The Donna Reed Foundation was formed in 1987 by members of Donna Reed’s hometown community of Denison, her husband, Grover Asmus, actresses Shelley Fabares and Norma Connolly, and numerous friends, associates, and family members.
- Open to all Iowa high school students (grades 10-12) in good standing at an accredited high school
- The high school students are studying drama and have acted in official school productions for 2016 and/or 2017 with grade point averages of 3.0 or greater.
- Students must be enrolled – or recently graduated – for the 2017 academic year to qualify.
How to Apply
The interested applicants may download an application form template to begin your submission through the given link:
- Microsoft Word DOC format – http://www.donnareed.org/html/templates/dr_download.php?dr_download_id=dr_f0252&drf_fpath=html/festival/festival17/merit/DRFPA-MeritAwards-2017.doc
- Adobe Acrobat PDF – http://www.donnareed.org/html/templates/dr_download.php?dr_download_id=dr_f0253&drf_fpath=html/festival/festival17/merit/DRFPA-MeritAwards-2017.pdf
Each application requires the following submission elements:
- Applicant Personal Statement (max: 600 words)
- Audition sample (3-5 minutes maximum) with clear audio, video, and lighting quality (see Video Submission in the application form for details). The 2017 jury notes will look for demonstrated range of dramatic acting abilities.
- Head shot portrait of student
- One signed letter of recommendation from drama educator
- The DRFPA requires a 3-5 minute (maximum) video sample of a performance or personal audition piece to help evaluate performance skill.
- Your submission must include a short introduction (no more than 30 seconds) identifying:
- Your name
- Your city/town of residence
- Your high school (current or recently graduated)
- A brief greeting to the Foundation [optional]
- Digital video files of the following formats are acceptable for submission via DVD or USB key (must be readable by Windows Media Player, Apple QuickTime Player, or VLC player [videolan.org] for review). One readable copy of the media is required for submission.
- Acceptable video file formats include:
- MPEG4 video
- Apple MOV format files
- Windows Media Video (WMV) format files
- Samples must be focused, well lighted, and with enough audio clarity to evaluate performance. (Poor recordings may impact your performance evaluation.)
The applicant must forward all submission materials (by post or hand-delivered) to The Donna Reed Foundation for the Performing Arts 1305 Broadway Denison, IA 51442 (712) 263-3334.
Variable, up to $1,000, may be awarded by the DRFPA at its discretion. Assessment of merit will include application contents, personal statement, qualities and skill demonstrated in video audition sample, personal recommendation, and future potential.
The application submission deadline is May 31, 2017, and all materials received at the DRFPA in Denison, IA by 3:00 pm CDT. Merit Award Notification – August 31, 2017.