The Herb Kohl Educational Foundation is pleased to announce the Kohl Excellence Scholarship Program. Any graduating high school students who intend to enroll in a postsecondary institution, university, college, or vocational/technical college, is eligible to apply for the scholarship.The foundation’s goal is to encourage Wisconsin youth to pursue postsecondary education. One hundred scholarships are awarded annually. The foundation will provide $5,000 scholarships to 100 high school graduates.A Kohl Excellence Scholarship can only be used to directly reimburse tuition, room and board, books, technology, and fees for postsecondary education.
The Herb Kohl Educational Foundation has been recognizing educational excellence since 1990 by annually awarding scholarships to 200 graduating high school students throughout Wisconsin. Since it was established in 1990, the Herb Kohl Educational Foundation has awarded $11.7 million to Wisconsin students, teachers, principals, and schools.
- Applicants must be residents of the State of Wisconsin, U.S.A., in good standing, and demonstrate probable success in postsecondary education.
- The application eligibility is divided among public school students, religious and independent school students, and homeschooled students.
- Public School Students- Must be graduating public high school students who are Wisconsin residents and intend to enroll in a postsecondary institution, which may be a public or nonpublic university, college, or vocational/technical college.
- Religious and Independent School Students- Must be Wisconsin residents, graduating from a religious/independent high school, and intending to enroll in a postsecondary institution, which may be a public or private university, college or vocational/technical college.
- Homeschooled Students- Must be homeschooled students who intend to enroll in a postsecondary institution, which may be a public or private university, college, or vocational/technical college.
How to Apply
To apply for the Excellence Scholarship, the candidate can download application form (pdf or word) through the given link: http://www.kohleducation.org/history/
- Write a 300-500 word essay describing your goals in the following:
- Future education
- Personal life
- Community/Society service (indicate if school requires community service for graduation
- Type your name and school at the top of your essay.
- Your essay must be typed in no less than 12-point font and be double spaced with 1” margins on all sides.
- More than 500 words will not be considered part of the application.
Letters of Recommendation-
- Submit three letters of recommendation, as specified below. These recommendations represent 18 percent of the score at the state level.
- Teacher—one letter
- Community member (for example, an employer, physician, member of religious community, etc.)—one letter
- Family friend (family members are excluded)—one letter
- All three recommendation letters must be attached to your application. If more than three letters are submitted, they will not be considered part of the application.
- Photocopy the following information and give to each individual who will be writing a letter on your behalf.
Send completed application to Wisconsin Parents Association Po Box 2502 Madison, WI 53701-2502
The Excellence Scholarship is a one-time only $5,000 award that is paid directly to the recipient’s chosen college. The scholarship may be used at any postsecondary institution and is not limited to Wisconsin.
- The deadline for submitting a completed application to your school is usually the first week of November but check with your principal or counselor.
- Some public schools require completed applications to be submitted earlier, and some religious or independent schools allow applications to be submitted through the third week of November.