The Greater Los Angeles chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists glad to announce “SPJ/LA’s Scholarship Awards”. Students from Los Angeles, Orange and Ventura counties who have completed at least their freshman year of college, as well as graduate students from those same counties, are eligible to apply. Under the leadership of its Board of Directors, the chapter membership devotes its efforts promoting professional development. The financial awards range is up to $1,000 for each scholarship.
The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ), formerly known as Sigma Delta Chi, is the oldest organization representing journalists in the United States. It was established in April 1909 at DePauw University, and its charter was designed by William Meharry Glenn. It was established in April 1909 at DePauw University, and its charter was designed by William Meharry Glenn.
This scholarship program is applicable for:
- Reside in or be enrolled at a high school, university or college in Los Angeles, Orange or Ventura counties
- Enrolled in college in another state, have graduated high school in Los Angeles, Orange or Ventura counties
How to Apply
Applicants must write an essay no more than 500 words describing your career goals:
- What specific kind of work do you hope to do in journalism when you graduate and later in your career? What are your expectations as a future practitioner?
- How will you accomplish your goals? (If you wish for financial need to be considered, include documentation in this statement.)
Applicants must submit the completed applications by e-mail to Tammy Audi
- Cover Sheet
- Standard Resume
- Journalism Work Samples
- Students may submit their work in traditional formats, such as clips, tearsheets, and prints, or via optical storage devices, such as CD or DVD.
- Send a self-addressed return envelope with sufficient postage if you want these items returned. Do not send irreplaceable original material.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Ken Inouye Memorial Scholarship award range is $500 – $1,000
- Helen Johnson Memorial Scholarship award range is $500 – $1,000
- Carl Greenberg Memorial Scholarship award amount is $1,000
- Bill Farr Memorial Scholarship award range is $500 – $1,000
The deadline for the scholarships is June 9, 2017.