The Sara Scholarship program is funded annually through the Henry & Sara Sheehan foundation. The Sara Scholarship was established in 2012 as part of the final will of Sara Sheehan. The program is available to female high school seniors who plan to pursue a college degree and who demonstrate academic achievement, the excellence of character, financial need and active engagement with the sport of golf. The minimum of eleven $2000 scholarships each, will be awarded in 2017.
The Sara Scholarship was established in 2012 as part of the final will of Sara Sheehan, who passed away in 2011. Sara was a true golfer who possessed a lifelong passion for the game. Whether in good or ill health, she played as much as she could – later in life managing only a few holes at a time.
To be eligible for the Sara Scholarship, applicants must…
- Be female
- Be high school seniors with the intention to graduate at the end of the school year
- Meet entrance requirements and plan to enroll at an accredited college or university in the United States
- Have a cumulative minimum unweighted GPA (grade point average) of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
- Demonstrate financial need
- Demonstrate excellent character and active involvement with the sport of golf. Skill in playing golf is not a criterion
- Examples include playing golf as a hobby or as part of a team, working at a golf course, as a caddy or in a pro shop, and any other direct, active engagement with the sport
How to Apply
To apply, the candidates nay download the application form through with the given link:
- Copy of official high school transcript (including Fall semester grades from senior year
- Applicant’s personal essay (see section VI of application)
- Copy of applicant’s Student Aid Report (SAR), including the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
- In order to qualify for the Sara Scholarship, you must first file a Free Application For Student Aid (FAFSA) with the U.S. Department of Education to determine your eligibility for student aid.
- One letter of recommendation from a high school teacher, counselor or administrator such as a principal. As an alternative, a letter of recommendation from a local business or professional person is acceptable. Send only one letter of recommendation.
The completed Sara Scholarship application and all supporting documents must be put in the same envelope and mailed to:
The Sara Scholarship
The Henry & Sara Sheehan Foundation
310 N. Kensington Ave.
LaGrange Park, IL. 60526
- The Sara Scholarship awards $2000 per year to be applied towards tuition, books, board and other expenses.
- A minimum of eleven $2000 scholarships will be awarded in 2017. The grant is eligible for renewal throughout the applicant’s undergraduate college career up to four years, for a total amount of $8000.
The completed application must be postmarked on or before Monday, May 1, 2017.The winning applicants will be notified on or before August 15, 2017.