The New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) is pleased to announce the NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program. To be eligible, the applicant must have received an undergraduate degree from a college/university in New York State (NYS) and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the term.The Program provides eligible students with a full-tuition scholarship for a master’s degree at a State University of New York (SUNY) or City University of New York (CUNY) college or university.The winners will receive an annual award equal to the annual full-time tuition charged to NYS resident students attending a graduate program at SUNY or CUNY (The maximum annual award for is $10,870 or actual tuition, whichever is less).
The Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) is New York State’s higher education student financial aid agency that helps people pay for collegeand a national leader in providing need based grant and scholarship award money to college-going students. At the Corporation’s core are programs like the Tuition Assistance Program, numerous state scholarships, federal college access grants and a highly successful College Savings program.
To eligible, an applicant must:
- Be an NYS resident and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the term
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Have received an undergraduate degree from a college/university located in NYS and have been an NYS resident while earning this degree
- Have earned a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 or higher upon completion of his or her undergraduate study
- Be matriculated in an approved master’s degree in education program at a SUNY or CUNY college or university which leads to a certification as a public elementary or secondary education teacher
- Be enrolled in such program on a full-time basis
- Be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award
- Be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by an NYS award
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher each term of graduate study
- Execute a Service Contract agreeing to teach for five years in a classroom at a public elementary or secondary school, including charter schools, located in NYS.
How to Apply
To apply, the applicant can submit online application go through the given link: https://webapps.hesc.ny.gov/questionnaire/page.hesc?questionnaireId=56&versionNumber=2
- To receive payment, recipients must complete the Payment of State Grants, Scholarships and Awards Application each year. The link is: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/apply-for-financial-aid/apply-for-state-grants-scholarships-and-awards/apply-for-payment-of-tap-state-scholarships-and-awards.html
- A recipient receives an annual award equal to the annual full-time tuition charged to NYS resident students attending a graduate program at SUNY or CUNY.
- The maximum annual award for the 2016-17 academic year is $10,870 or actual tuition, whichever is less.
- Awards will be reduced by the amount of any other tuition-only assistance award received. Awards will be made under this program based on available funding.
- A recipient is entitled to a maximum of four-semester payments, or its equivalent, for full-time graduate study leading to certification as an elementary or secondary classroom teacher.
The deadline for the NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program application is July 11, 2017.
If you have any questions regarding this program, contact the Scholarship Unit at scholarships-at-hesc.ny.gov or 888-697-4372