Postgraduate Opportunity Scholarships 2018/19
Value of award
Number of awards
Start date and duration
Commences September 2018 for the one year duration of a full time course (two years pro rata for a part-time course).
Application closing date
The closing date for applications is 29 June 2018. No further applications for 2018 entry will be considered after this date.
In order to be considered for a Postgraduate Opportunity Scholarship, you must have already applied to the University for an eligible taught or research Master’s course and received an offer of a place by this date.
The scholarships are available as part of Newcastle University’s 2018 Postgraduate Support Scheme for Master’s students. They have been designed to enable students from under-represented groups to progress to higher level study.
The University is offering Postgraduate Opportunity Scholarships on the basis of:
• a £5,000 award per student
• for UK students progressing from an undergraduate course for which they were charged the higher tuition fee (normally £9,000) from 2012 onwards
• targeted at under-represented groups in Higher Education including women studying postgraduate engineering and computing science courses
• for students with an offer of a place on an eligible Master’s degree starting in September 2018. Students without an academic offer will not be considered
Please see our lists of eligible and non-eligible courses that fall into the following categories:
Newcastle and non-Newcastle students are eligible to apply. You do not need to wait for your undergraduate degree classification to apply for a scholarship.
Newcastle alumni students are able to take advantage of the University’s 20% reduction in postgraduate tuition fees (conditions apply). Read more about the alumni discount .
The scholarships are not available to:
• EU or international Master’s students
• students studying a non-eligible degree
• students studying full-time and part-time courses lasting longer than 2 years
Postgraduate Opportunity Scholarships are available only to students applying to Newcastle University who meet the following criteria:
- have been offered a place to study on one of the University’s eligible taught or research Master’s courses commencing in September 2018 for a maximum of two years (full-time or part time)
- are UK students progressing from undergraduate courses for which they were charged the higher tuition fee applying since 2012/13 and falling into the following categories:
- a student living in England when they entered undergraduate study at any UK institution
- a student living in Scotland when they entered undergraduate study at any English, Northern Irish or Welsh institution
- a student living in Northern Ireland when they entered undergraduate study at any English, Scottish or Welsh institution
- UK domiciled students (Newcastle and non-Newcastle graduates) who have paid fees at the ‘home’ rate since commencing undergraduate study from 2012 onwards
- meet one or more of the following criteria
- a woman studying an eligible engineering or computing science course
- have been in Local Authority care, or supported by the Foyer Federation, for at least three months in the last 10 years before September 2018
- have been in receipt of Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) while an undergraduate
- have been in receipt of the maximum Maintenance Grant (not just loan) from the Student Loans Company in their final academic year
- were from a neighbourhood which has a low progression rate to higher education (as determined by individual postcode on entry to undergraduate study)
- were from a neighbourhood which has a high level of financial, economic or social deprivation (as determined by individual postcode on entry to undergraduate study)
Check if your postcode is eligible using our postcode checker
If your postcode is not recognised please contact us
Students ineligible to receive scholarship awards are those:
- already holding higher degrees at Masters’ or doctoral level
- studying any non-eligible course
- undertaking a full-time or part-time course lasting longer than 2 years
- studying intercalating Masters’ degrees within MBBS or BDS courses
- who are eligible to apply for a healthcare bursary from any of the following organisations:
- National Health Service (NHS)
- Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS)
- Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS)
- who are eligible to apply for an undergraduate tuition fee loan and a living cost loan from The Student Loans Company
- continuing their study and registered for higher degrees prior to September 2018
- commencing doctoral degrees as research students in 2018
- commencing undergraduate study in 2011/2012 or earlier before £9,000 fees were introduced
- who have not been made academic course offers by Newcastle University for study in 2018/19 by 29 June 2018
- categorised as international for fee paying purposes or EU domiciled students
- categorised as UK students not progressing from undergraduate courses for which they were charged the higher tuition fee (normally £9,000) and specifically:
- students from Wales who entered undergraduate study from September 2013 as the Welsh Government, through the Student Loans Company, provided tuition fee grants of some £5,500 to all Welsh students to cover partial fee costs
- students from EU countries outside the UK who entered undergraduate study from September 2012 at an institution in Wales, if they were in receipt of a tuition fee grant from the Student Loans Company that covered fee costs
- students from Scotland or other EU countries outside the UK who entered undergraduate study from September 2012 at an institution in Scotland, if their fees were paid for them by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland
- students from Northern Ireland or other EU countries outside the UK who entered undergraduate study from September 2012 at an institution in Northern Ireland
- students who studied for their undergraduate degree outside the UK.
For more information about the scheme, please see our Postgraduate Opportunity Scholarships regulations (Word: 17 KB).
Evidence Required for Postgraduate Opportunity Scholarship Applications
In your application, you will normally be required to supply evidence of your eligibility for a Postgraduate Opportunity Scholarship. This may differ between applicants depending on claims made but includes:
- if claiming eligibility due to being in receipt of an undergraduate maintenance grant (not just loan) from the Student Loans Company in your final academic year: a copy of your Student Finance England, Student Finance Northern Ireland or Student Award Agency for Scotland entitlement letter for your final academic year only. Previous years’ funding letters are not acceptable.
- if claiming eligibility due to postcode on entry to undergraduate studies you must provide clear documentation such as your UCAS application or Student Loans Company entitlement letter showing an eligible post code prior to commencing your studies. Relocation of home address after this date cannot be taken into account.
- if claiming eligibility on disability grounds, you must provide a copy of your DSA Entitlement Letter which outlines the support you were eligible to receive as an undergraduate.
- if claiming eligibility on care leaver grounds, Local Authority or equivalent confirmation of the period in care including precise dates.
Applicants unable to provide proof of eligibility to the University’s satisfaction cannot be considered under that specific criterion.
If you are a woman and applying for a postgraduate engineering or computing science course, you will not be required to supply any evidence for this criterion. You will however have to state which course you have received an offer for.
Please note that for Newcastle undergraduates or recent graduates the University may already hold some of the above information.
How to apply
To apply for the Postgraduate Opportunity Scholarship, please complete the online application form .
Questions regarding the Postgraduate Opportunities Scholarship should be sent to: [email protected]
Classroom Assistant II (Part Time-4 Positions)
|Recruitment/Posting Title||Classroom Assistant II (Part Time-4 Positions)|
|Department||Ctr-Strategic Urban Ldrshp-Cmd|
The Classroom Assistant will support the classrooms serving children from ages 0-3 years and creating and maintaining a safe and stimulating environment for young children. This position is responsible for daily care of the children enrolled in his/her class. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following: physical caregiving, following an age appropriate daily plan, and facilitation of supportive relationships with co-workers, parents, and students. The Classroom Assistant II ensures, supports, and promotes each child’s safety, health, and development in cooperation with their families and other early childhood professionals in a manner consistent with NAEYC, NJDHS and child care licensing regulations
|Hours Per Week||19.5|
|Daily Work Shift|
|Position Salary||$10-$12 per hour|
|Terms of Appointment||Temporary Staff Appointment – Hourly|
|Minimum Education and Experience|
AA degree, preferably in the field of Early Childhood Education of Child Development from an accredited public or private institution of higher education. Child Development Associate (CDA) credential for Preschool Caregivers required or an equivalent credential that addresses comparable competencies; or must obtain the credential within one year of employment as a Classroom Assistant II.
|Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities|
Must have (or be willing to obtain) training and experience necessary to develop consistent, stable, and supportive relationships with very young children. Ability to work as part of a multi-program/disciplinary team in providing a variety of services to children and families. Experience working with children from low income families. Valid First Aid/CPR card, food handler’s card, negative TB test, and clear criminal background check required.
|Physical Demands and Work Environment|
|Posting Open Date|
|Posting Close Date|
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Special Instructions to Applicants|
|Regional Campus||Rutgers University-Camden|
|Home Location Campus||Rutgers University-Camden|
Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment Ctr Student Worker
|Working Title||Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment Ctr Student Worker|
|Anticipated Starting Academic Term||Fall|
|Job Category||Administrative/Office Support|
|Federal Work Study Required?||No|
|Job Summary||The student will be involved in patient relations, answer phones, scheduling patient appointments, study recruitment assistance, database entry, filing, copying, faxing|
|Job Requirements||Prior customer service experience, familiarity or interest in medicine/medical terminology and Microsoft Office|
|Child Protection Clearances||The following PA Act 153 clearances and background checks may be required prior to commencement of employment and as a condition of continued employment: PA State Police Criminal Record Check, FBI Criminal Record Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance.|
|Hourly Pay Rate||$7.65|
|Anticipated Number of Openings||2|
|Anticipated Hours per Week||10-20|
|Anticipated Weekly Schedule||flexible|
|Primary Work Location||Kaufmann Bldg, Suite 1110|
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity. EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Student Software Developer (FALL)
Student Software Developer (FALL) –
: United States-Oklahoma-Norman
Work Schedule: Flexible, 10-20 hours per week
Salary Range: $10.00
Benefits Provided: No
Required Attachments: Resume, Academic Transcripts, Class Schedule
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) seeks to fill a Student Assistant position to contribute to CIMMS Meteorological Phenomena Identification Near the Ground (mPING) project (http://mping.ou.edu/).
The principal duties of this position are:
Required Education: Must be currently enrolled in the current Fall 2018 Term as a student at the University of Oklahoma. Hiring contingent upon verification of current student status.
- Must attach Fall 2018 oZONE class schedule.
- Strong computer programming skills with particular emphasis on Python and PostgreSQL
- Strong familiarity with the UNIX/Linux operating environment and web services such as Nginx, Django and RESTful web applications
- Optional experience with mobile app development on Android and/or iOS is a plus
- Experience debugging and/or trouble shooting software and hardware issues
- Experience working with complex software applications and web-based communications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively with others
Special Instructions: If you are selected as a final candidate for this position, you will be subject to The University of Oklahoma Norman Campus Tuberculosis Testing policy. To view the policy, visit https://hr.ou.edu/Policies-Handbooks/TB-Testing
Hiring contingent upon a Background Check?: Yes
Special Indications: None
: Oct 30, 2018
Classroom Assistant II (Part Time-4 Positions)
185 Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Classroom Assistant II (Part Time-4 Positions) Posting Number 18TM0693 Department Ctr-Strategic Urban Ldrshp-Cmd...
Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment Ctr Student Worker
123 Working Title Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment Ctr Student Worker Anticipated Starting Academic Term Fall Job Type Student Job Category...
Student Software Developer (FALL)
105 Student Software Developer (FALL) – Job Number: 183298 Organization : CIMMSJob Location : United States-Oklahoma-NormanSchedule : Part-timeWork Schedule: Flexible, 10-20 hours per weekSalary Range: $10.00Benefits Provided: No Required Attachments: Resume,...
Cross-Disciplinary Faculty Position: Illustration/Drawing/Digital Media
70 Posting Details Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All...
Cross-Disciplinary Faculty Position: Ceramics/Digital Ceramics
42 Posting Details Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All...
JMU X-Labs Student Intern – IE
46 Position Details Position Information Working Title JMU X-Labs Student Intern – IE Posting Number J1255 Position Type Institutional Employment...
General Archives Student Assistant
44 Posting Details Posting Details Job Title General Archives Student Assistant Requisition Number DU04595 Department Name 88000:LIBRARY ADMINISTRATION Work Location...
Oral History Center Indexing Student Assistant
33 Posting Details Posting Details Job Title Oral History Center Indexing Student Assistant Requisition Number DU03576 Department Name 88000:LIBRARY ADMINISTRATION...
Dullabh Education Award
47 About the scholarship Application status: Not currently open for applicationsApplicable study: Year 3 of a BEd(Tchg) Primary, GradDipTchg(Sec) or...
KMOS-TV Development Student Worker – Spring 2019
32 Position Information Position Information Position Title KMOS-TV Development Student Worker – Spring 2019 Working Title KMOS-TV Development Student Worker...