The WHSF/Mexican Fiesta and LULAC Councils of Wisconsin 342 & 343 are working in collaboration to provide scholarships to deserving young Hispanic men and women that aspire a higher education.To be eligible, students must enroll as a full-time student in a college or university, including 2-year colleges, or vocational schools that lead to an associate’s degree.Scholarship aimed to improve the standard of living of Hispanics residing in the state of Wisconsin. Applicants are eligible for the following three types of scholarship awards that are the National Scholastic Achievement Awards ($2,000), Honors Awards ($500 to $2,000), and General Awards ($250 to $1,000).
The WHSF/Mexican Fiesta was founded in 1987 under the name of LULAC Council #9900. Renamed and incorporated as the Wisconsin Hispanic Scholarship Foundation, Inc. (WHSF) the same year to serve the Wisconsin Hispanic Community.The goal of the WHS Foundations, Inc. is to raise funds to provide scholarships for the higher education of Hispanic students in the state of Wisconsin
To eligible for the scholarship, the applicants must:
- Be a WI resident.
- Have a minimum of 2.5 GPA
- Have applied to or be enrolled in a Wisconsin college/university.
- Be a full-time student. (12 credits or more)
- Complete a minimum of 20 hours of volunteer service for the WHSF/Mexican Fiesta. (Dates and times to be determined by the Committee)
- Be a minimum of 25 % of Hispanic descent.
How to Apply
To applying candidates can download the application form through the given link:
If you are interested in the position, your application should include:
- Essay: applicant must write an essay of 300 words (maximum) in this essay you may explain how your academic studies will contribute to your personal & professional goals. In addition, discuss any community service or extracurricular activities you have been involved in that relate to your goals and describe the importance of having a mentor
- Current address
- College/university applicant must submit current official or unofficial transcripts.
- High school senior applicant must submit current official or unofficial transcripts, acceptance letter and acopy of ACT or SAT score report.
- Attend the Student Informational Forum Decisions of Today, Impact of Tomorrow (Not mandatory)
Complete application packet of material must be postmarked at the given address:
WHSF /Mexican Fiesta
Attention: Scholarship Committee
2997 S. 20th St.
Milwaukee, WI 53215
Financial Aid and Award Money:
There are three types of scholarship awards:
- National Scholastic Achievement Awards ($2,000)
- The student has a GPA of 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale or equivalent, and, if the student is an entering freshman,
- The student scores 29 or higher on the ACT test, or 1350 or higher on the SAT test.
- Honors Awards ($500 to $2,000)
- The student has a GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale or equivalent, and, if the student is an entering freshman,
- The student scores 23 or higher on the ACT test, or 1100 or higher on the SAT test.
- General Awards ($250 to $1,000)
- Grades and academic performance will serve as indicators; however, emphasis may be placed on the individual’s motivation, sincerity, and integrity, which can best be revealed through a personal interview and in the personal essay.
- Need, community involvement, and leadership activities will also be considered.
The deadline for the application is due on Saturday, April 8th, 2017.
For more information, contact the Mexican Fiesta office at 414-383-7066 or visit www.mexicanfiesta.org.