The Western Governors’ Association is pleased to announce the second year of “Celebrate the West”, a regional art competition that challenges high school students to create works inspired by their state. WGA provides an effective platform for Governors’ to discuss common challenges and opportunities, share ideas and examine issues of common interest. Winning artists will receive cash prizes and their works will be displayed at an upcoming WGA Governors’ meeting, as well as on the WGA website. The Grand Prize award is $1,000, the second place prize is $500, and third place prize is $300. The remaining state finalists will be awarded $200 each.
The Western Governors’ Association represents the Governors of 19 Western states and 3 U.S.-flag islands. The association is an instrument of the Governors for bipartisan policy development, information exchange and collective action on issues of critical importance to the Western United States.
- The competition is open to high school students (Grades 9-12) in public, private, charter, and alternative schools.
- Home-schooled students in that age group also may enter.
- Students must be in a school in a WGA member state: Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, interested candidates can download the application form from the given link:
- Students must submit entries conveying what their state means to them, how they are artistically inspired by their state or the uniqueness of living in the Western U.S.
- Students must submit a digital copy (scanned, digital photo, etc.) of their entry
- All entries must be students’ original work and not violate any U.S. copyright laws.
- Artwork must be two-dimensional and may be created using painting (oil, watercolor, acrylic, etc.), drawing (pencil, colored pencil, charcoal, ink, markers, pastels, etc.) lithography, silkscreen, mixed media, computer graphics, and collages. No photography or video-based submissions will be accepted.
- The un-framed artwork submitted shall not be smaller than 8” x 10” and shall not be larger than 22” x 28”.
Applicants email complete application packet at:
The Western Governors’ Foundation will award the following cash prizes:
- Grand Prize Winner will be awarded $1,000
- Second Place Winner will be awarded $500
- Third Place Winner will be awarded $300 (“Winners”)
- The remaining Finalists from each state/U.S.-flag Pacific Island will be awarded $200 each
- Additionally, one (1) “Best of Show” Winner will receive $200; this amount may be combined with another prize
- Prizes will be mailed to all Winners and Finalists
Applicants must submit the application material by the deadline April 30, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, email at WGAart-at-westgov.org