Facing History Together Student Essay Contest is sponsored by Facing History and Ourselves Inc. The contest is open to middle school and high school students who are 13 years or older. This contest will provide students and their teachers with opportunities to earn scholarships and awards through an essay contest in response to some of the questions Facing History raises on making choices in today’s world. Three $5,000 Upstander Scholarships will be awarded to students in 7th-12th grade and their teacher will receive a $500 Classroom Award. Seven finalists will get $1,000 and their teacher will also receive a $250.
Facing History and Ourselves Inc. works with educators around the world throughout their careers to improving their effectiveness in the classroom, as well as their students’ academic performance, historical understanding, and civic learning.
- The contest is open to middle school and high school students in the United States, Canada (excluding Quebec), and the United Kingdom.
- All participants must be 13 years or older.
- All participants must list valid contact information for their teacher as part of the contest submission form and receive parent/guardian permission to participate.
- Employees of Facing History and Ourselves and the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible.
- The Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited. No purchase is necessary to enter or win
How to Apply
- Applying for the scholarship, the candidates must submit the scholarship application form and upload an essay through the given link: http://contest.facinghistory.org/choices/
- Submit an essay 500 words or less on the given topic: What story, book, or person has influenced your thinking about ethical decision making? What has it taught you about how you can participate as a caring, thoughtful citizen in the world around you?
- The three Overall Contest winners will receive $5,000 generously funded and paid for by Holland & Knight Charitable Foundation’s Holocaust Remembrance Project.Identified teachers of the winning students will also each receive $500 Classroom Awards.
- An additional seven prizes of $1,000 will be given to Finalists. Identified teachers of the finalists will also each receive $250 Classroom Awards.
Applications are open on March 1, 2017, at 9:00 a.m. EST and closes March 15, 2017, at 9:00 p.m. EST.
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, email at contest-at-facinghistory.org